Vegan Lemon Meringue Pie


This is my favourite pie in the world. I love it. I also have a love/hate relationship to it since I eat it until I feel sick and never want to eat it again, but then I crave it and make it again and the circle goes on and on. It's delicious, shortly put. I also forgot (I was just lazy) to brown the meringue with a blow torch or oven. Sorry. 

INGREDIENTS

For the crust; 


5 DL / slightly over 2 Cups of All-Purpose Flour
3 Tbsp of Sugar
275 grams of Cold Non-Dairy Butter
1-5 tbsp of Cold Water

For the filling;

3,5 DL/ 1 1/2 Cups Sugar
0,5 DL / 1/2 Cup Cornstarch ( I used potato flour)
2 DL/ 1 Cup Non-Dairy Milk
0,5 DL / 1/2 Cup Water
Juice from 2 lemons
1 tbsp Coconut Oil
1/2 tsp Turmeric for colour (Which I forgot!!!)

For the meringue;

Chickpea water / Aquafab from one can of chickpeas
1 tsp of Vanilla Powder
1 DL / 0,5 Cup of Sugar (you can add more if you want it sweeter) 

DIRECTIONS;

1. Start with the crust. Mix together the dry ingredients, and then add in chopped butter and knead it together with your hands. Add water 1 tbsp at the time, and add more if it's needed.

2. Once the crust is done, wrap it in plastic film and leave in the fridge for at least 1 hour.

3. While the crust is in the fridge, start with the filling. Mix all the ingredients except for the coconut oil in a saucepan, medium heat, and whisk until it starts thickening, then add the coconut oil and whisk for another minute or so. Put aside and let cool.

4. Start with the meringue. Use an electrical whisk to whisk the chickpea water, vanilla powder and sugar to a foamy texture. Add the sugar gradually and whisk until stiff and meringue-like texture.

5. Preheat the oven to 170C (338 F) and prepare the pie. Flour a table and roll out the crust, then place it in your pie tin and cut of the excess crust.

6. Pour the lemon filling onto the crust and let sit in the fridge for a little bit, until cooled. Then add the meringue on top.  If you want the meringue to brown a bit , put in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until the meringue starts to turn golden brown. I just let mine be as it was, because I'm lazy. Truth. Let it cool in room temperature for an hour, then place in the fridge for a couple more.

7. Enjoy! 



Comments

Popular Posts